Sweepstakes Official Rules
TaxAct® Don’t Get a Refund, Get a Raise Sweepstakes Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE THROUGHT THIS PROMOTION. VOID WHERE PROHIBTED BY LAW.
Sponsor: TaxAct, Inc., 1425 60th Street NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402 (“TaxAct”).
- Acceptance of Official Rules. Please read these rules (“Official Rules”) before entering this promotion (the “Promotion”). By participating in this Promotion, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
- Eligibility. PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. THIS PROMOTION IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF ANY ONE OF THE FIFTY UNITED STATES OR DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE AT LEAST AGE 18 (OR THE AGE OF MAJORITY UNDER APPLICABLE LAW). IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE, AND TAXACT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD PRIZES TO YOU. If you have an APO or FPO mailing address, you must identify your state of permanent residence. To be eligible to win a prize, entries must be completed and received by TaxAct in the manner and format designated below. Directors, officers and employees of TaxAct and its participating sponsor(s) and any of their respective affiliate companies, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, advertising and promotional agencies, and immediate families of each are not eligible to win any prizes. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Offer void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law. Limit seven Entries per email address.
- Promotion Period. The Promotion starts at 12:00 am Central Time on February 24, 2017, and ends at 11:59 pm Central Time on April 19, 2017 (the “Promotion Period”). All Entries must be received during the Promotion Period to be eligible to win a prize. TaxAct’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Promotion.
- Disclaimer. TaxAct and all participating sponsors, and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies (collectively, the “Released Parties”) will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled or distorted or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer- or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (c) any Promotion disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of TaxAct or by non-authorized human intervention; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Promotion. Subject to any governmental approval that may be required, TaxAct reserves the right to, without prior notice and at any time, terminate the Promotion, in whole or in part, or modify the Promotion in any way, should any factor interfere with its proper conduct as contemplated by these official rules. TaxAct reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel the Promotion in its entirety if it becomes technically corrupted or because of non-authorized human intervention.
- How to enter. To enter the Promotion, visit http://getaraisesweeps.com during the Promotion Period and follow the instructions to complete your entry (“Entry”). To participate, provide your first and last name and a valid email address. Limit of 7 entries per email address. Entries may be obtained the following ways:
- Maximum of 1 entry for completing the Pledge (URL)
- Maximum of 1 entry for publishing on Twitter following successful pledge completion
- Maximum of 1 entry for sharing on Facebook following successful Pledge completion
- Maximum of 4 entries for successfully submitting a valid quiz, maximum of 1 entry per quiz (URL)
Once you have provided the required information, you will be entered into the online random drawing. Entries become the property of TaxAct and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Prizes. Four winners will each receive a $250 cash prize. One Grand Prize winner will receive a $10,000 cash prize.
- Alternate means of entry. You may complete up to 6 email submissions in lieu of up to 2 social media entries and 4 quiz entires (one per quiz). You may also obtain 1 entry by taking the Pledge referenced in Section 5(a). Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line containing your first and last name. Your email submissions must be received by the following times to be considered valid:
- 11:59 pm Central Time on March 19, 2017 for first $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on March 26, 2017 for second $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on April 2, 2017 for third $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on April 9, 2017 for fourth $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on April 19, 2017 for Grand Prize drawing
- Effective date of entries. Entries made online will be effective on the day received. You are responsible for your costs of entering, including online access charges.
- Selection and Notification of Winners. Five potential prize winners will be determined by a random drawing of all eligible entries to he held on or before the following dates:
- 11:59 pm Central Time on March 20, 2017 for first $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on March 27, 2017 for second $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on April 3, 2017 for third $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on April 10, 2017 for fourth $250 Prize drawing
- 11:59 pm Central Time on April 19, 2017 for Grand Prize drawing
All entries that are not selected as a winner will roll over to the subsequent drawings. Winners will be notified by email on or shortly after the date of the drawing. To claim a prize, each winner must follow the instructions contained in his or her notification and abide by these Official Rules.
- Identity of Entrant. If a dispute arises about the identity of the entrant, entries made online will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The potential winner may be required to provide TaxAct with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with a winning entry.
- Odds of winning. The odds of winning any drawing will be determined by the number of eligible Entries received.
- Taxes. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH WINNER. For prizes valued at $600 or greater, winners must provide a completed W-9 to TaxAct, and TaxAct will file an IRS Form 1099 with the Internal Revenue Service for such winners. If a winner refuses to complete a W-9 for a prize worth $600.00 or greater within 15 business days after the request is made, the winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected in accordance with these Official Rules. Such a winner will have no right to an alternate prize worth less than US $600.00 in lieu of providing a completed Form W-9 for the original prize.
- Claiming a prize. All prizes will be awarded. The winner must contact TaxAct to claim his or her prize no later than 15 business days after TaxAct provides notification of winning. If a prize notification is returned as undeliverable or a prize is otherwise not claimed within fifteen days after delivery of notification, the applicable prize will be forfeited and awarded to another entrant. Entries and prizes are not transferable. No substitutions or exchanges of any prizes will be permitted, except that TaxAct reserves the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value for any prize.
- General Release. By entering the Promotion, you release TaxAct and all Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Promotion (including methods of entry) or delivery, mis-delivery, acceptance, possession, or use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
- Use of Winner’s Name, Likeness, etc. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Promotion constitutes permission to use winner’s name, likeness, persona, hometown, and/or prize information in all media now known or later devised throughout the universe in perpetuity for all purposes TaxAct deems appropriate—including, without limitation, for promotional and publicity purposes—without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, winner may (in TaxAct’s sole discretion) be required to execute a written consent, confirming TaxAct’s right to use such winner’s name, likeness, persona, hometown, and/or prize information without further permission or compensation.
- Affidavit and Release. As a condition of being awarded any prize, a winner may (in TaxAct’s sole discretion) be required to execute and deliver to TaxAct a signed affidavit of eligibility, acceptance of these Official Rules, release of liability, and any other legal, regulatory, or tax-related documents required by TaxAct in its sole discretion.
- Winner List; Rules Request. For a copy of the Winner List, send an email with subject line: “Get a Raise Winner List Request” to email@example.com after May 1, 2017 and before May 31, 2017. To obtain a copy of these official rules, send an email with subject line: “Get a Raise Sweepstakes Official Rules Request” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Intellectual Property Notice. TaxAct is a trademark of TaxAct, Inc. The Promotion and all accompanying materials are copyright 2017 by TaxAct, Inc. All rights are reserved.
- Miscellaneous. The Promotion and these Official Rules will be governed, construed and interpreted under the laws of the state of Iowa, U.S.A. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of TaxAct, which are final and binding in all respects. TaxAct reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Promotion or any entrant’s participation in the Promotion should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, or other causes beyond TaxAct’s control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Promotion, or TaxAct otherwise becomes (as determined in its sole discretion) incapable of running the Promotion as planned. Notwithstanding the foregoing, TaxAct reserves the right to amend, modify, or cancel the Promotion at any time without notice. Entrants who violate these Official Rules; violate any law, rule, or regulation in connection with participation in the Promotion; tamper with the operation of the Promotion or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to TaxAct, the Promotion, or any other entrant (in each case as determined in TaxAct’s sole discretion) are subject to disqualification from entry into the Promotion. TaxAct reserves the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter the Promotion. Any provision of these Official Rules deemed unenforceable will be enforced to the extent permissible, and the remainder of these Official Rules will remain in effect. If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Promotion, please e-mail them to getaraisesweeps or send written questions to TaxAct Promotion, 1425 60th Street NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402.